Julian’s "gag" video: The Metric Prefixes Song.
A very memorable way to learn metric prefixes!
In class question: what are the names of numbers bigger than a million? A billion?
But note, not everyone agrees on the meaning of billion and beyond (short vs long scale). So exponents are useful…
After hearing all the prefix names, we had a discussion of base 10 exponents, multiples of 10, and how that "moves the decimal point."
To reinforce exponents, scale, and introduce exponential growth, we watched:
- VFX Artist Uses CGI to Reveal the True Scale of A BILLION!
- VFX Artist Reveals the True Scale of the Universe
- VFX Artist Reveals the True Scale of Atoms
- Beyond Infinity Number Comparison
- Exponential Growth: a Commonsense Explanation..
- topical (limited world, economics vs real world resources) at 2:34
- Using VFX to Explain Why COVID-19 Surprised Everyone – covers exponential growth; decided not to watch given the topic used to introduces it is COVID-19.
Then explored (The Scale of the Universe 2)[https://htwins.net/scale2/].
Perimeters and Fractals
How long of is the outline of the UK if you use a 10m long ruler? is it longer if you use a 1m (shorter) ruler? You can go around more details… so the perimeter increases. (Extra: Does the 1D perimeter increase faster than the 2D area it encloses?) One of the many interesting oddities of Fractals!
Had fun exploring:
Wrap up: We watched a little of the Nova documentary on Fractals