What can you do with the Cricut?
- Custom Decals – for phones, water bottles, chalkboards, car windows/sides, laptop, picture frames, and drinkware.
- Paper Flowers.
- Custom heat transfer decals – T-shirts, tote bags.
There are many different types of vinyl. This section we will go over the various types and their uses. As well as where to purchase supplies. Many of the vinyl types come in a wide range of colours and finishes(matte or gloss).
The two most basic types of vinyl are the regular adhesive-backed vinyl and HTV or heat transfer vinyl. This second one is the kind that is mostly used for fabrics because it is ironed onto your surface (t-shirts, hats, tote bags and so on).
- Permanent Vinyl: As the name states, this vinyl is permanent and would be used in projects that you are sure you wouldn’t want to alter later on. If you do decide to try and remove it, it is likely to leave behind a residue.
- Regular Vinyl: This vinyl is a happy medium between the Permanent and Removable. It will last longer the Removable but it is easier to remove from surfaces. There are specialty vinyls like holographic, glitter and etching(imitates the look of etched glass).
- Removable Vinyl: This vinyl is great for non-permanent projects such as wall decals or window display.
- HTV: Iron on Vinyl is called HTV and requires pressed heat to set. Great for T-shirts or Bags designs.
- Low-tack Stencil Vinyl: This vinyl has low adhesion and is great when used with etching cream to etch glasses. Other use would be for creating a one time stencil for painting or printing.
Brands of Vinyl
Siser, Oracal and Cricut’s own brand.
Recommendation: buy Siser or Oracal over Cricut brand vinyl.
Where to Buy
The Vinyl Menagerie – Great selection and wide range of products. Canadian. Authorized Seller of Siser Vinyl but sells Oracal. Fast and fair prices.
Beyond Craft Vinyl – Locate the island.Great selection and various productions.Sells both Siser and Oracal brands of vinyl. Local pickup or shipping available. Fair prices.
Michaels. – Offers Siser and Cricut products. Local pickup or shipping available.
And of course there is always Amazon.ca
Weeder: Removes negative cuts, especially important.
XL Scraper: Cleans cutting mats and applies vinyl on larger surfaces.
Reverse Tweezers: Can pick up tiny scrap and hold small things in place using reverse action.
Fine Tweezers: Great for weeding tiny pieces of vinyl — especially when the project is intricate.
Scoring Stylus: Creates fold lines for things like cards, envelopes, or 3d boxes.
Pens: For drawing and writing card design.